2010-02-03

Ant Fucker

Mieren Neuker
Noun: Someone who makes a big deal out of a small thing.

Once, when I first arrived in Holland after a 19-year absence, I was having a lot of problems with certain paperwork. Even though I had a Dutch passport, I couldn't start working until I had a tax number, which they wouldn't assign to me because I did not have a permanent address, but I could not get a permanent address until I was accepted into a university course I had applied to, and I couldn't get a bank account number to be paid into until I had a tax number. It would have been easier for an illegal sex worker with herpes to find work. While venting to a Dutch friend, she said:
"The Dutch can be such Ant Fuckers".

Of course, in Dutch "mieren neuker" doesn't sound so crude, but it literally does mean "ant fucker". That made me feel a lot better.

The
closest word in english would be "stickler", which is explained well in this Dave Barry column, "nit-picker" or "perfectionist".

I was thinking about what the antonym for "ant fucker" might be, and the closest thing might be "Hic A Doo La". See if you can spot the ant fucker in this song.

Bonus information: Dutch Pop "star" Frans Bauer claims to be an ant fucker. But in all fairness, he actually looks like someone who would fuck ants.
Yeah.


Bonus number two:Technically, the translation of "mieren neuker" denotes the plural of ant, although whether this is many at the same time, or having promiscious relations with several ants at different times is unclear. Also, within the ant community, don't only the Queen ant and the flying males have sex? Actually, this might not even be true, and if this is interests or angers you, chances are, you are an ant fucker.


Example sentence (aside from "The Dutch can be such ant fuckers"):

"Stop saying I can't spell. Your an ant fucker!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a splendid term! I have to prepare some documentation for a man with a red pen who shows all the traits of an ant-fucker. I have, as a result, stumbled across this term, and intend to spread it as widely as possible.

I have the uncomfortable feeling that the world is run by the sorts of bores who think that money and power have intrinsic merit, and they are assisted in this by legions upon legions of ant-fuckers of the dullest sort. Talent, wisdom, even a sense of proportion is a hindrance. Grrrgh